The Mountain CERT Planning Committee is offering a special training opportunity on September 16–17 to develop and practice emergency response skills relevant to those CERTs who live in the Santa Cruz Mountains. This exercise is open to CERTs in Bonny Doon, Skyline/La Honda, Boulder Creek, Ben Lomond, Felton, Paradise Park, Zayante/Lompico, and Scotts Valley.
We are grateful for assistance from CalFire, the CERT Auxiliary of Santa Cruz County, the American Red Cross, the San Lorenzo Valley Amateur Radio Emergency Services group, and Sacramento CERT, all of whom will be participating in the exercise.
This is an exciting and rare opportunity for CERTs to practice with other emergency responders.
We are offering four special Pre-Trainings that support the main event in September. Each pre-training has a limited number of training slots available and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis to qualified registrants.
If you live outside one of these areas and would like to participate in any of the pre-trainings or the exercise itself, we would be happy to put you on our waiting list and will let you know if any unclaimed spaces are available.
If you are a Mountain CERT who would like to be a part of the event but not participate in the actual training exercises, or you live outside of the mountains, you are invited to participate as a Disaster Victim or Exercise Observer, or assist us with Traffic Control, Registration or other activities. A sign-up opportunity appears below.
There are several recommended pre-trainings for the September Disaster Simulation Exercise.
- July 19: NIMS/SEMS Combined training There will be a comprehensive NIMS/SEMS (National Incident Management System/Standardized Emergency Management System) combined training through the EOC on Wednesday, July 19th, 8:30 am–4:00 pm. This is a recommended free leadership training opportunity! Taught by Fire Chief Steven Hall, this all-day training brings you in contact with other County employees who will be working during a disaster. Limited to 8 CERTs. (PDF with more information)
- August 12: Red Cross Shelter Operations TrainingRed Cross Shelter Operations Training on Saturday, August 12th from 9:00 am–5:00 pm at the Martin Fire Station. Learn how to set up an emergency shelter in your community. You must complete this training to participate in the September 16th Shelter Setup Exercise. Class limited to 60 CERTs. If not completed you can participate as a victim during the September exercise. Sign up below. (PDF with more information)
- August 17: Incident Command Structure (ICS) ExerciseAn Incident Command System (ICS) exercise will be held at the EOC* on Thursday, August 17th from 6:00 pm–8:30 pm for Team Leaders and participants who have completed NIMS/SEMS ICS 100, 200 & 700. Starting with a brief review of protocols for using FRS radios during emergency responses, we will then do a step-by-step walkthrough of the considerations involved in setting up a CERT Incident Command Post. This will be followed by a table-top exercise where we take these considerations and practice setting up a CERT Incident Command Post. Limited to 25 CERTs. Sign up below. (PDF with more information)
- August 26: Search and Rescue TrainingLearn basic Search and Rescue (SAR) skills to assist your community when someone is lost. Drones in SAR will also be covered. 9:00 am–1:00 pm. Class limited to 30 CERTs. Martin Fire Station and adjacent nature reserve. Sign up below. (PDF with more information)
Mountain CERT Disaster Simulation Exercise
- September 16–17: Participating in the exercise This is the big event where you get to practice the skills you’ve learned in Basic CERT and the three pre-trainings. Limited to 50 Mountain CERTs. Preference will be given to those who have completed the pre-trainings listed above. Sign up below. (PDF with more information)
- September 16–17: Volunteering for the exerciseThis is for non-Mountain CERTs or Mountain CERTs who would like to be a part of this event but not do the actual exercises. You can often learn as much by helping as participating! Choices include helping with Traffic Management, Registration, the Medical Station, or being an Exercise Victim or Observer. Sign up below. (PDF with more information)