In a large-scale disaster, professional emergency responders are likely to be overwhelmed for hours, days, or even longer. This may leave communities on their own for an extended period of time. CERT Teams works to educate our community about disaster preparedness, how to stay safe during an actual disaster, and how to come together safely and efficiently in the aftermath of a large scale emergency. If called upon, we are also trained to assist professional emergency responders on an as-needed basis.
Although this website covers CERT for Santa Cruz County, it is in local neighborhoods and communities where CERT will be called on. Here are local teams that have given us information:
- Bonny Doon
- Team Seacliff
- La Selva Beach
- Felton CERT
- Boulder Creek CERTMeets first Thursday of every month at Boulder Creek Fire Dept, 13230 Highway 9. Website: bouldercreekcert.org. Contact: Kevin Foster, kfosterconstruction[at]yahoo.com, phone (831) 588-2055
- Scotts Valley CERTMeets second Wednesday of every month at Scotts Valley Fire District Station #1, 7 Erba Ln. Contact: Jim Nelson, jnelson[at]skyhighway.com, phone (831) 295-3676
- Seascape CERTOur Seascape CERT team grew from streets of neighbors into a trained team of neighborhood friends. We continue to train and practice our CERT Disaster Survival response skills. Website: seascapecert.org. Contact: Rick Jacobson, rjacobson[at]navisite.com, phone (831) 687-0669
- Sunset Beach CERT TeamThe Sunset Beach CERT team meets 3-4 times each year for information sharing, planning, and training focused on preparing the team and the community for emergencies. These meetings are attended by the CERT team; however, CERT-trained neighbors and others in the community interested in disaster preparedness are also welcome. For more information about Sunset CERT or the meeting schedule, please contact sunsetcertteam[at]gmail.com.
- Waldorf School CERT TeamEmphasis is on CERT education and skills as they relate to keeping children safe. Also meet periodically with their Cave Gulch neighbors to ensure mutual aid in times of disasters.Team Leader — Deborah Lindsay, Waldorf School Administrative Director, admindirector[at]santacruzwaldorf.org or (831) 425-0519