In a large-scale disaster, professional emergency responders are likely to be overwhelmed for hours, days, or even longer. This may leave communities on their own for an extended period of time. CERT Teams works to educate our community about disaster preparedness, how to stay safe during an actual disaster, and how to come together safely and efficiently in the aftermath of a large scale emergency. If called upon, we are also trained to assist professional emergency responders on an as-needed basis.
Although this website covers CERT for Santa Cruz County, it is in local neighborhoods and communities where CERT will be called on. Here are local teams that have given us information:
- Bonny Doon CERT
- Team Seacliff CERT
- La Selva Beach CERT
- City of Santa Cruz CERT
- Felton Area CERT
- Boulder Creek CERTMeets first Thursday of every month at Boulder Creek Fire Dept, 13230 Highway 9. Website: bouldercreekcert.org. Contact: Bill Monroe, wkmunro[at]comcast.net
- Scotts Valley/Branciforte CERTMeets second Wednesday of every month at Scotts Valley Fire District Station #1, 7 Erba Ln. Contact: Jim Nelson, jnelson[at]skyhighway.com, phone (831) 295-3676
- Live Oak CERTMeets six Wednesdays in 2019 (Jan 2, Mar 6, May 1, Jul 3, Sep 4, Nov 6), 7:00–8:30 pm at Central Fire Station, 930 – 17th Av, Santa Cruz. Contact: Inani Eggleston, liveoakCERT[at]gmail.com, phone (831) 477-1385 landline
- Seascape CERTOur Seascape CERT team grew from streets of neighbors into a trained team of neighborhood friends. We continue to train and practice our CERT Disaster Survival response skills. Website: seascapecert.org. Contact: Rick Jacobson, rjacobson[at]navisite.com, phone (831) 687-0669
- Watsonville Area CERTTo join a CERT team in Watsonville, or to get more information about CERT or Map Your Neighborhood, contact Watsonville Area CERT Coordinator Sharon Spence, watsonvilleareacert[at]gmail.com and check out our Facebook page.
- South Skyline CERTThe South Skyline Emergency Preparedness Organization (SSEPO) has created the South Skyline CERT Group. It is based at the Saratoga-Summit Cal Fire Station about one mile north of Hwy 9 on Skyline Blvd. We currently number 21 members, most of whom have been sworn in Santa Cruz County. Since our geographic area straddles Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, and San Mateo Counties, a number of us are also sworn in San Mateo County. We share CERT Trainers and training exercises with the South Coast CERT Group based at the La Honda Fire Brigade. Our geographic area covers the Skyline Blvd area between La Honda Rd to the north and Bear Creek Rd to the south. Contacts: Jerry Parsons (jstanley7[at]aol.com), SSEPO President; Peggy Wargo (peggywargo.wargo1[at]gmail.com), South Skyline CERT Team Leader
- Rio Del Mar Flats CERTFor information about the CERT team in Rio Del Mar Flats, contact Team Leaders Lori Nielsen, lorinielsen2000[at]yahoo.com, phone (510) 376-9097, or Jerry Cannella, jerrycannella[at]me.com, phone (831) 251-5061.
- Sunset Beach CERT TeamThe Sunset Beach CERT team meets 3-4 times each year for information sharing, planning, and training focused on preparing the team and the community for emergencies. These meetings are attended by the CERT team; however, CERT-trained neighbors and others in the community interested in disaster preparedness are also welcome. For more information about Sunset CERT or the meeting schedule, please contact sunsetcertteam[at]gmail.com.
- Waldorf School CERT TeamEmphasis is on CERT education and skills as they relate to keeping children safe. Also meet periodically with their Cave Gulch neighbors to ensure mutual aid in times of disasters.Team Leader — Deborah Lindsay, Waldorf School Administrative Director, admindirector[at]santacruzwaldorf.org or (831) 425-0519