Local CERT teams and team members can take advantage of resources as we learn of them.
If you know of additional resources we should list here, please let us know.
- Santa Cruz County Office of Emergency Services (OES) Feature of the Month
- Emergency Operations Center (EOC) CERT InternshipThe CERT EOC internship provides members the opportunity to experience Emergency Operations Management through tabletop exercises and EOC operations. Exercises help identify and practice EOC management and interoperability with Community partners. More details and application here.
- CERT Re-certification
- CERT Auxiliary Ready Kit SuggestionsWhen you complete the Basic CERT Course, you receive a backpack with some basic supplies, like hardhat, gloves, reflective vest, etc. However, to be properly prepared, you should add additional supplies to your pack. This list, prepared by the CERT Auxiliary, suggests important add-ons and additional recommended add-ons to have a pack that is truly ready.
- Additional Training — FEMA, NIMS, Red Cross
- Ham RadioWhen normal communications are impacted, ham radio (amateur radio) is an important resource. Amateur radio operators can communicate with each other and with the county’s emergency services office.To operate an amateur radio, you need to pass an exam and get an FCC license. Basic information about getting licensed. Find when exams are going to be given (typically in Saratoga). And classes to prepare for the exam are given occasionally. Find classes.Amateur radio operators preparing for use in emergencies are organized in ARES, the Amateur Radio Emergency Service. Local groups in ARES hold regular meetings. More information.
- Checklists for Emergency Preparation
- Santa Cruz County El Niño Preparation Guide
- KAZU El Niño Preparedness Report, featuring Bonny Doon CERT
- Map Your Neighborhood
- Guest Speakers
- Red Cross [Become a Volunteer]
Resource Materials for Teams and Trainers
Basic CERT Training
- Unit 1 — Disaster Preparedness (Jan 2020) (PowerPoint)
- Unit 2 — Fire Safety & Utility Controls (Jan 2020) (PowerPoint)
- Unit 3 — Disaster Medical Operations, Part 1 (Jan 2020) (PowerPoint)
- Unit 4 — Disaster Medical Operations, Part 2 (Jan 2020) (PowerPoint)
- Unit 5 — Light Search & Rescue Operations (Jan 2020) (PowerPoint)
- Unit 6 — CERT Organization (Jan 2020) (PowerPoint)
- Unit 7 — Disaster Psychology (Jan 2020) (PowerPoint)
- Unit 8 — Terrorism and CERT (Jan 2020) (PowerPoint)
- Unit 9 — Review and Exam (Jan 2020) (PowerPoint under revision)
Additional Training and Resources
- How to Start and Maintain a CERT Program (PDF) (from the Corporation for National & Community Service)
- Training module for Triage (PowerPoint)
- Training module for Traffic Management (PowerPoint)
- Seacliff CERT July 2016 exercise featuring ICS and communication (PDF)
- Seacliff CERT July 2017 ICS exercise (PDF)
- Volunteer Time Log when activated through OES (PDF | Word)
- Linda Masterson, Surviving Wildfire: Get Prepared, Stay Alive, Rebuild Your Life (A Handbook for Homeowners)