Basic CERT Training Courses
The Basic CERT Training Course prepares you to handle disaster situations, at home and in your community. You will learn what to do on your own, and what to do as part of a CERT team.
When you complete the 21-hour Basic CERT Course, you receive a Disaster Service Worker (DSW) badge good for five (5) years. For re-certification, and to get an updated badge, here are the recertification guidelines and the steps to follow. Contact us if you need re-certification this year.
Currently scheduled Basic CERT courses (past courses may be found on the Events page):
Note: Approved registration is required for attendance. Minimum class enrollment is 20 students. Encourage your friends and neighbors to sign up for CERT classes with you! If there is insufficient enrollment, you will be notified two weeks prior to the class start date.
- Cabrillo College — Jan 22, 29, Feb 5, 12, 16There will be a Basic CERT Course at Cabrillo College on Tuesdays Jan 22, 29, Feb 5, 12, from 6:30–10:00 pm at Cabrillo College Room 5005 (Horticulture Center; Campus map), and Saturday Feb 16 from 9:00 am–5:00 pm at Aptos/La Selva Fire, 6934 Soquel Dr, Aptos. Note: we are no longer accepting enrollments for this class. (Outline)
- Bonny Doon — Feb 21, 28, Mar 7, 14, 21, 23
- Live Oak — Mar 13, 20, 27, Apr 3, 6
- Zayante — Apr 4, 11, 18, 25, 27
- Watsonville — April 24, May 1, 8, 15, 18
- Felton — Jun 6, 12, 20, 27, 29
(Each class may cover these in a different order.)
1. Disaster Preparedness
- Recent Disasters and Emergencies
- Home and Workplace Preparedness
- Community Preparedness
2. Fire Safety
- Fire Chemistry
- Fire and Utility Hazards
- Fire Suppression (for small fires)
- Hazardous Materials
3. Disaster First Aid
- Treating Life-Threatening Conditions
- Treating Injuries and Wounds
- Disaster Psychology
4. CERT Organization
- The CERT Team in Action
5. Light Search and Rescue
- Building Construction
- Conducting Search Operations
- Conducting Rescue Operations
6. Review and Exercise
- Course Review
- Disaster Simulation
- Final Exam
Advanced CERT Training Classes
Advanced CERT classes are held from time to time. They help CERT team members refresh skills learned in the Basic classes as well as learn new skills. Attendance at these advanced classes counts towards the 5 hours of CERT training per year required for recertification of the DSW badge every five years.
At all of these advanced training sessions, CERT recertification will take place from 6:30-7:00 pm for those who need to update their badges.
Aptos sessions will take place at the Firehouse (6934 Soquel Dr).
Felton sessions will take place at the Firehouse (131 Kirby St).
Note: Unless otherwise specified, each Advanced Training class must have a minimum of 10 registered one week before the class begins, or it may be cancelled. You will be notified if the minimum has not been met.
- No advanced classes scheduled at this time
Emergency Response Family Training
A 1-1/2-hour session to help you and your family develop an Emergency Plan and Supply Kit. Currently scheduled sessions:
- Aptos — Feb 27Wednesday, Feb 27 from 7:00–8:30 pm at Aptos/La Selva Fire Station, 6934 Soquel Dr, Aptos. If parking lot is full, please park in the Mar Vista Elementary school parking lot next door. (Flyer)
- Aptos — Mar 6Wednesday, Mar 6 from 7:00–8:30 pm at Aptos/La Selva Fire Station, 6934 Soquel Dr, Aptos. If parking lot is full, please park in the Mar Vista Elementary school parking lot next door. (Flyer)
- Watsonville — Apr 17Wednesday, Apr 17 from 7:00–8:30 pm at Marinovich Community Center, 120 – 2nd St, Watsonville. Class will be taught in Spanish and children are welcome to attend. (La clase se impartirá en español. Los niños son bienvenidos.) (Flyer)