Basic CERT Training Classes
The Basic CERT Training Class prepares you to handle disaster situations, at home and in your community. You will learn what to do on your own, and what to do as part of a CERT team.
When you complete the Basic CERT Course, you receive a Disaster Service Worker (DSW) badge good for five (5) years. For re-certification, and to get an updated badge, here are the recertification guidelines and the steps to follow. Contact us if you need re-certification this year.
Currently scheduled Basic CERT classes (past classes may be found on the Events page):
Note: minimum class enrollment is 20 students. Encourage your friends and neighbors to sign up for CERT classes with you! If there is insufficient enrollment, you will be notified two weeks prior to the class start date.
- Live Oak — Feb 27, Mar 6, 15, 20, 24There will be a Basic CERT Class in Live Oak on three Tuesdays (February 27, March 6, 20) and one Thursday (March 15) from 6:30–10:00 pm and Saturday, March 24, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Classes will be held at Central Fire, 930 – 17th Av, Santa Cruz. Note: This class is now full. You can register to be put on the wait list. (Outline | Register)
- Watsonville — Apr 4, 11, 18, 25, 28
- Scotts Valley — May 3, 10, 17, 24, Jun 2There will be a Basic CERT Class in Scotts Valley on four Thursdays (May 3, 10, 17, 24) from 6:30–10:00 pm and Saturday, June 2, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Thursday classes will be held at the Scotts Valley Fire Dept, 7 Erba Ln, Scotts Valley. The Saturday class will be held at the Felton Fire Dept, 131 Kirby St, Felton. (Outline | Register)
- Boulder Creek — Aug 2, 9, 23, 30, Sep 8There will be a Basic CERT Class in Boulder Creek on four Thursdays (August 2, 9, 23, 30) from 6:30–10:00 pm and Saturday, September 8, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Thursday classes will be held at the Boulder Creek Fire Dept, 13230 Central Ave, Boulder Creek. The Saturday class will be held at the Felton Fire Dept, 131 Kirby St, Felton. (Outline | Register)
- Aptos — Sep 5, 12, 19, 26, 29
- Live Oak — Oct 3, 10, 17, 24, 27
Subjects covered in the Basic CERT class
(Each class may cover these in a different order.)
1. Disaster Preparedness
- Recent Disasters and Emergencies
- Home and Workplace Preparedness
- Community Preparedness
2. Fire Safety
- Fire Chemistry
- Fire and Utility Hazards
- Fire Suppression (for small fires)
- Hazardous Materials
3. Disaster First Aid
- Treating Life-Threatening Conditions
- Treating Injuries and Wounds
- Disaster Psychology
4. CERT Organization
- The CERT Team in Action
5. Light Search and Rescue
- Building Construction
- Conducting Search Operations
- Conducting Rescue Operations
6. Review and Exercise
- Course Review
- Disaster Simulation
- Final Exam
Advanced CERT Training Classes
Advanced CERT classes are held from time to time. They help CERT team members refresh skills learned in the Basic classes as well as learn new skills. Attendance at these advanced classes counts towards the 5 hours of CERT training per year required for recertification of the DSW badge every five years.
At all of these advanced training sessions, CERT recertification will take place from 6:30-7:00 pm for those who need to update their badges.
Aptos sessions will take place at the Firehouse (6934 Soquel Dr).
Felton sessions will take place at the Firehouse (131 Kirby St).
Note: Unless otherwise specified, each Advanced Training class must have a minimum of 10 registered one week before the class begins, or it may be cancelled. You will be notified if the minimum has not been met.
- April — Train the Trainer - Instructor Training for CERT Basic Course
- May — Moving Victims, Recovery Position, and Advanced SplintingAptos – Tuesday, May 15, 7-9:30 pm. Felton – Wednesday, May 16, 7-9:30 pm. (Register)
- June — Advanced Training on Traffic ManagementBring your matchbox cars to this Advanced Training on Traffic Management presented by CHP Officer Drake. We will be using a road scale model with small cars in a hands-on experience demonstrating different traffic situations.
Aptos – Thursday, Jun 7, 7-9:30 pm. Felton – Wednesday, Jun 6, 7-9:30 pm. (Register)
- September — Utility Management for First RespondersLearn how to handle downed power lines and other utility emergencies.
Felton – Thursday, Sep 6, 7-9:30 pm. Aptos – Tuesday, Sep 25, 7-9:30 pm. (Register)
- October — Map Your Neighborhood (MYN) WorkshopHow to conduct a MYN training designed to improve disaster response at the neighborhood level for 15-20 urban homes or 5-7 in rural areas, and may be implemented in condos, apartment complexes and mobile home parks. Training teaches neighbors to rely on each other during the hours or days before fire, medical, police or utility responders arrive.
Felton – Thursday, Oct 4, 7-9:30 pm. Aptos – Thursday, Oct 25, 7-9:30 pm. (Register)