Basic CERT Training Classes
The Basic CERT Training Class prepares you to handle disaster situations, at home and in your community. You will learn what to do on your own, and what to do as part of a CERT team.
When you complete the Basic CERT Course, you receive a Disaster Service Worker (DSW) badge good for five (5) years. For re-certification, and to get an updated badge, here are the recertification guidelines and the steps to follow. Contact us if you need re-certification this year.
Currently scheduled Basic CERT classes (past classes may be found on the Events page):
Note: minimum class enrollment is 20 students. Encourage your friends and neighbors to sign up for CERT classes with you! If there is insufficient enrollment, you will be notified two weeks prior to the class start date.
- Santa Cruz — 5 Thursdays (May 18, 25, June 1, 8, 15)There will be a Basic CERT Class in Santa Cruz on five consecutive Thursdays—May 18 and 25, June 1, 8, and 15—from 6–10 pm. Classes will be held at the Santa Cruz Emergency Operations Center, 495 Upper Park Rd. The class will be limited to Santa Cruz city residents only; non-residents welcome if space is available 2 weeks before the start of the class. (Outline)
- Corralitos — 4 Thursdays (June 1, 8, 15, 22) & Saturday June 24This class has been cancelled for low enrollment. Please choose another class.
Subjects covered in the Basic CERT class
(Each class may cover these in a different order.)
1. Disaster Preparedness
- Recent Disasters and Emergencies
- Home and Workplace Preparedness
- Community Preparedness
2. Fire Safety
- Fire Chemistry
- Fire and Utility Hazards
- Fire Suppression (for small fires)
- Hazardous Materials
3. Disaster First Aid
- Treating Life-Threatening Conditions
- Treating Injuries and Wounds
- Disaster Psychology
4. CERT Organization
- The CERT Team in Action
5. Light Search and Rescue
- Building Construction
- Conducting Search Operations
- Conducting Rescue Operations
6. Review and Exercise
- Course Review
- Disaster Simulation
- Final Exam
Advanced CERT Training Classes
Advanced CERT classes are held from time to time. They help CERT team members refresh skills learned in the Basic classes as well as learn new skills. Attendance at these advanced classes counts towards the 5 hours of CERT training per year required for recertification of the DSW badge every five years.
- Advanced Training class, Felton — Wednesday, June 14Advanced Training — Medical Review (Head to Toe Assessment, Wound Care, Splinting) at the Felton Fire Station, 131 Kirby St. 6:30–9:00 pm. Class size limited to 20. (Register)
- Recertification and Advanced Training class, Aptos — Thursday, June 15There will be a DSW Badge recertification class and Advanced Training — Medical Review (Head to Toe Assessment, Wound Care, Splinting) at the Aptos-La Selva Fire Station, 6934 Soquel Dr. 6:30 pm for the badge recertification, 7:00–9:00 pm for the medical review. Class size limited to 20. (Register)