Basic CERT Training Classes
The Basic CERT Training Class prepares you to handle disaster situations, at home and in your community. You will learn what to do on your own, and what to do as part of a CERT team.
When you complete the Basic CERT Course, you receive a Disaster Service Worker (DSW) badge good for five (5) years. For re-certification, and to get an updated badge, here are the recertification guidelines and the steps to follow. Contact us if you need re-certification this year.
Currently scheduled Basic CERT classes (past classes may be found on the Events page):
Note: minimum class enrollment is 20 students. Encourage your friends and neighbors to sign up for CERT classes with you! If there is insufficient enrollment, you will be notified two weeks prior to the class start date.
- Santa Cruz — Nov 9, 16, 30, Dec 6, 11There will be a Basic CERT Class in Santa Cruz on three Thursdays (November 9, 16, 30) plus Wednesday December 6 and Monday December 11, all from 6:00–10:00 pm. Classes will be held at the Santa Cruz Emergency Operations Center, 495 Upper Park Rd, Santa Cruz. Please note: this class is limited to residents of the City of Santa Cruz until October 31st, when nonresidents will be accepted if there is availability. (Outline | Register)
Subjects covered in the Basic CERT class
(Each class may cover these in a different order.)
1. Disaster Preparedness
- Recent Disasters and Emergencies
- Home and Workplace Preparedness
- Community Preparedness
2. Fire Safety
- Fire Chemistry
- Fire and Utility Hazards
- Fire Suppression (for small fires)
- Hazardous Materials
3. Disaster First Aid
- Treating Life-Threatening Conditions
- Treating Injuries and Wounds
- Disaster Psychology
4. CERT Organization
- The CERT Team in Action
5. Light Search and Rescue
- Building Construction
- Conducting Search Operations
- Conducting Rescue Operations
6. Review and Exercise
- Course Review
- Disaster Simulation
- Final Exam
Advanced CERT Training Classes
Advanced CERT classes are held from time to time. They help CERT team members refresh skills learned in the Basic classes as well as learn new skills. Attendance at these advanced classes counts towards the 5 hours of CERT training per year required for recertification of the DSW badge every five years.
- November 21: Sandbag Training -- WatsonvilleJanet Wohlgemuth from the California Conservation Corps will be offering a free, one-day Sandbag Training class on Tuesday, November 21st in Watsonville (location still TBD). The morning will consist of a 4-hour classroom presentation and the afternoon will be spent at the beach practicing different sandbagging techniques. To sign up contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Just be aware that Janet has been deployed to Texas on a 30-day assignment so it may be a while before she gets back to you.
- December 5: Disaster Psychology -- AptosDisaster Psychology is highlighted in a FEMA movie that expands CERT Basic Training with information on the elderly and children. Come for the movie and popcorn with group discussion following. Aptos Fire station, 6934 Soquel Dr, Aptos. 7:00-8:30 pm. If you need your DSW badge re-certified, come at 6:30. (Register)
- December 6: Disaster Psychology -- FeltonDisaster Psychology is highlighted in a FEMA movie that expands CERT Basic Training with information on the elderly and children. Come for the movie and popcorn with group discussion following. Felton Fire station, 131 Kirby St, Felton. 7:00-8:30 pm. If you need your DSW badge re-certified, come at 6:30. (Register)