Basic CERT Training Classes
The Basic CERT Training Class prepares you to handle disaster situations, at home and in your community. You will learn what to do on your own, and what to do as part of a CERT team.
When you complete the Basic CERT Course, you receive a Disaster Service Worker (DSW) badge good for five (5) years. For re-certification, and to get an updated badge, here are the recertification guidelines and the steps to follow. Contact us if you need re-certification this year.
Currently scheduled Basic CERT classes (past classes may be found on the Events page):
Note: minimum class enrollment is 20 students. Encourage your friends and neighbors to sign up for CERT classes with you! If there is insufficient enrollment, you will be notified two weeks prior to the class start date.
- Felton — Aug 2, 9, 16, 23, 26There will be a Basic CERT Class in Felton on four consecutive Wednesdays (August 2, 9, 16, 23) from 6:30–9:30 pm and Saturday August 26 from 9:00 am–5:00 pm. Classes will be held at the Felton Fire Station, 6059 Highway 9. (Outline)
- Live Oak — Aug 22, 29, Sept 5, 13, 16There will be a Basic CERT Class in Live Oak on three consecutive Tuesdays (August 22, 29, September 5) and Wednesday September 13 from 6:30–9:30 pm and Saturday September 16 from 9:00 am–5:00 pm. Classes will be held at the Central Fire Station, 930 – 17th Ave. (Outline)
- Watsonville — Sept 21, 28, Oct 5, 12, 14There will be a Basic CERT Class in Watsonville on four consecutive Thursdays (September 21, 28, October 5, 12) from 6:30–9:30 pm and Saturday October 14 from 9:00 am–5:00 pm. Thursday classes will be held at the Marinovich Community Center, 120 – 2nd Ave. The Saturday class will be at the firehouse across the street, 115 – 2nd Ave. (Outline)
Subjects covered in the Basic CERT class
(Each class may cover these in a different order.)
1. Disaster Preparedness
- Recent Disasters and Emergencies
- Home and Workplace Preparedness
- Community Preparedness
2. Fire Safety
- Fire Chemistry
- Fire and Utility Hazards
- Fire Suppression (for small fires)
- Hazardous Materials
3. Disaster First Aid
- Treating Life-Threatening Conditions
- Treating Injuries and Wounds
- Disaster Psychology
4. CERT Organization
- The CERT Team in Action
5. Light Search and Rescue
- Building Construction
- Conducting Search Operations
- Conducting Rescue Operations
6. Review and Exercise
- Course Review
- Disaster Simulation
- Final Exam
Advanced CERT Training Classes
Advanced CERT classes are held from time to time. They help CERT team members refresh skills learned in the Basic classes as well as learn new skills. Attendance at these advanced classes counts towards the 5 hours of CERT training per year required for recertification of the DSW badge every five years.
- No classes scheduled at this time. Please check back.